Monday, April 6, 2015

Cashew Coconut Granola


Mom told me to get rid of the cashews, so I opted for cashew granola.We had two huge containers of cashews (who knows why), and she didn't know how we were going to eat them all. In the process, I also got rid of our almonds, raisins, and coconut, so I'd say that it was a pretty good pantry-cleaning recipe!

This granola instantly became my new favorite granola. It is so good. It has the perfect sweetness from the maple syrup. It's crunchy like a granola should be, with just a touch of chewy from the raisins. I had never made granola with sesame seeds before, but toasted sesame seeds truly are delicious, so I thought I would throw them in! (Plus, they have calcium in them- which I am always in need of.)

Regarding the family test: passed with flying colors. Mom said it might be her new favorite too. Dad loved it simply from the coconut I'm pretty sure.


If you're into super yummy, crunchy yet chewy, pantry-clearing recipes- this ones for you!

Adapted from The Cafe Sucre Farine
Makes 8 cups; 225 calories per half cup

Ingredients:

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup raw cashews
1 cup raw almonds, roughly chopped
1/4 cup sesame seeds
3/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup, room temp
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup raisins


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 250 F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper
2. Stir oats, nuts, coconut, brown sugar, and salt together in large bowl
3. Combine maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla in small bowl. Pour liquid ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until dry ingredients are coated evenly
5. Spread mixture evenly on both baking sheets and bake for 1 hour and 10-15 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes.
5. Remove granola from oven and let cool then add in raisins. Store in airtight containers.