Saturday, January 5, 2013

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

This one is a staple in the Hawkins' household. I can't even tell you how much hummus we go through. In the summers, when red peppers are in-season, we make our own. Last summer, I tried four different recipes, messed with the ingredient proportions of them all, and finally came upon what I like to call "the perfect hummus." Not going to lie, I brag about how good my hummus is a lot- but then again, so does my family- so it must be pretty dang good.

Eventually I will get my own picture. It's a working progress.

There are two keys to making this recipe delicious: roasting your own peppers, and using cayenne pepper. Peppers from a jar really cannot compare in taste to roasting your own. Also, the cayenne pepper adds a little kick- not a lot- just a little. We're not talking spicy here, just a little edge.

Ingredients:

2 garlic cloves
1.5-2 cups cooked chickpeas (15oz can)
3 roasted red peppers
1/4 cup tahini
5 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)
2 Tbsp water
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, to taste
1 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
       

Directions: 

1. Roast red peppers by pithing each pepper and cutting in 3 pieces. Place on pizza stone covered in tin foil.
2. Put in oven on 2nd highest rack at 500 degrees on broil for 15 minutes until blackened.
3.Take out and wrap in tin foil for 20-25 minutes to soften skin. Peel and throw away skin.
4. Place all ingredients in food processer (I use our vita-mix) and blend until smooth.