Sunday, January 6, 2013

Paleo Nut Bread

Paleo Nut BreadI am not home from college very often, but when I am home you will undoubtedly find me cooking something new with one of my best friends, Lauren. Lauren and I have had many kitchen adventures together and always end up making the tastiest things- not without learning a lesson or two first.

This Christmas break we decided to make Paleo Nut Bread, Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies, and Cauliflower Crust Pizza. I originally found this nut bread recipe on A Tasty Love Story blog, and it caught my eye.

You may be wondering, "What in the world does Paleo mean?".... because I know that's what I was thinking! So, like any young scholar, I looked it up! Paleo is short for Paleolithic, and it is a type of diet. Other names for this diet are "the caveman diet" and "the hunter-gatherer diet." To keep it simple, if you can't pick it or kill it, then you can't eat it. The diet consists mainly of meats, fish, nuts, fruits, roots, regional veggies and leafy greens, and seeds. It excludes grains, dairy products, legumes, potatoes, and refined sugar. Just to clarify though, just because I'm making paleo bread, does not mean I follow this diet. I just thought it looked yummy, and it was!

This bread is packed with protein, calcium, fiber, healthy fats, and good cholesterol. Beware though, it's pretty high in calories (one loaf is 4,000), so don't go eating five slices in one sitting. One slice will fill you up for quite some time because of all the nutrients inside! 

Enough with the talking, here it is!
Paleo Nut Bread

Ingredients:

2 cups almonds
1 cup walnuts
1 1/2 cup seeds: *flaxseeds, *sesame seeds, chia seeds (use two)
3 eggs
4 egg whites

1/3 cup coconut oil
A pinch of salt

1 Tbsp honey

Directions:


1. Preheat oven to 325 °F
 and line bread pan with parchment paper
2. Grind 1.5 cup almonds and 1 cup walnuts to flour-like texture.
3. Chop the last part of almonds a little less refined.
4. Grind seeds to flour like texture. If using sesame seeds, be sure to not grind too much as it will turn into tahini paste very quickly.
5. In a bowl combine all of the ingredients and stir well together. Pour batter into prepared pan
6. Bake in oven for 50-60 min. Let it cool before removing from the pan.


**The bread keeps moist and delicious up to a week in the fridge. You can easily freeze it as well.