Monday, May 27, 2013

Banana Pancakes

Banana Pancakes

 Breakfast for dinner is always one of my favorites. This past week it was just Emma and me for dinner, so breakfast for dinner it was! I am still on my banana kick, so of course the pancakes were going to be banana. Plus, it's a good excuse to Jack Johnson's song "Banana Pancakes." Since Emma is gluten-free (more like gluten-light) and I am dairy free, I decided to give Sarah Britton's gluten-free banana pancakes a go. I made them once before for the family, but they weren't the biggest fans. This time I changed them up a little, and Emma couldn't even tell they weren't normal pancakes. Actually, she loved them and so did I! Basically, my mission was a success; so for future reference mom, this is a good recipe for pancakes for Emma!

These pancakes are nice and moist from the bananas. They take a little extra time on the pan, but it is worth the wait. I added some dairy-free chocolate chips to some of them too for a little treat. Sarah tops hers with walnuts, bananas, and maple syrup. I am always a fan of applesauce on my pancakes (got that one from my grandpa).
Banana Pancakes


Makes 8 medium size pancakes; 105 calories per pancake

Ingredients:

Dry
1/3 cup almond flour
2/3 cup oat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
pinch sea salt

Wet
1 very ripe banana
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. coconut oil, melted
2/3 cup nut milk (I used coconut)
2 tsp. maple syrup

Directions:

1.  Add both flours, baking soda, sea salt to a large bowl and stir to combine. 

2. Mash banana with fork in a separate small bowl. Add remaining wet ingredients and stir to combine. The tricky part I run into here is keeping the coconut oil from becoming solid again, make sure if the banana was frozen beforehand that it is completely thawed now; this will keep the coconut liquid.

3. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just until the two come together. Let batter sit for 15-30 minutes at room temperature. 

4. Heat a little coconut oil in a skillet and drop 1/4 cup of batter onto skillet. Spread slightly with the back of the spoon to even out the batter. Turn heat down to medium-low. Let cook on the underside until you can see the edges browning and the topside has become glazed over a little, which will take more time than a regular pancake. Flip over to cook the other side. Cook until the underside is crispy and brown (although the middle is a little moist, this is okay).