Monday, May 27, 2013

Scotcheroos, The Right (Fat) Way

Scotcheroos
This type of food is way out of my normal food repertoire, but I was assigned to make these bars for my mom's best friends 50th birthday party this weekend. Specifically, I was told to make "fat bars," which is what my high school calls the bars. Of course, there is not recipe online for something with the name "fat bar," so scotcheroos were the closest I could find.

The thing about the fat bars my school makes is that they are at least 10 times better than scotcheroos. They are creamier, richer, and bigger. They have lots of peanut butter and are coated with thick chocolate. They stick all over your teeth and you have to have milk to wash one down. Basically, everything about them is completely indulgent and I ate them a total of one time my entire high school career.

In order to make the scotcheroos into a fat bar, I had to change it up- I had to make them more fat! For the bars I used more peanut butter to make them gooey and rich and I crushed the Krispies so make them more dense and one texture. For the top I decreased the butterscotch chips and increased the chocolate chips to make them more rich and chocolatey and I added shortening to give the top a shiny hard look. Basically, this is a recipe for scotcheroos, the right way.


Scotcheroos


Ingredients:

1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 1/4 cups creamy peanut butter
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal

1/2 cup butterscotch chips
2 1/2 cups chocolate chips
large spoonful vegetable shortening (do not substitute)


Directions:

1. Place wax paper in a 9x13 inch pan; set aside. Pour cereal in large bowl, crushing it with your hands as you go. The cereal doesn't need to all be crushed, this is done to make the bars more dense and less airy. Some pieces will be whole, some will be near powder. Set cereal aside.

2. Place sugar and corn syrup in microwave-safe bowl and microwave  until sugar is dissolved and mixture is almost boiling. Microwave at 50% power and stir every 20-30 seconds to prevent burning. Stir in peanut butter until melted and combined; you may need to place it back in the microwave a little bit to soften the peanut butter.

3. Pour liquid over measured cereal and stir until well-coated. Press the mixture into the prepared pan using a rubber scraper.

4. Melt the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in a microwave-safe bowl at 50% power; stirring every 20-30 seconds. Spread evenly over cereal, make sure to get all the way to the edge (no one wants a piece with no chocolate on top). Let sit to firm, or refrigerate for faster firming time.