Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Banana Buckwheat Pancakes with Stewed Apples


Banana Buckwheat Pancakes
At school lately there have been pancakes everywhere. Pancakes to celebrate fall. Pancakes in class. Pancakes to celebrate the upperclassman. Pancakes because people are bored. The problem with pancakes made like this? They all are made with dairy, meaning I get to miss out. This, of course, means that I have been craving pancakes for weeks, so when I finally got home for break that was the first thing I made myself for breakfast.

I found this recipe on a new blog, Luar + Wolfdenne, that I found and love (I also love her instagrams). It's super quick and easy; literally 4 ingredients in the pancakes. It's also nice because it only makes one pancake, perfect for just me! The cinnamon stewed apples on top pair perfectly with the dense and sweet banana pancake. I simply added a little extra maple syrup on top, but any extra toppings would only add to the delightfulness of this pancake.
Banana Buckwheat Pancakes

(makes 1 pancake)

Ingredients:

Pancakes:
3 heaped tbsp buckwheat flour

2 tsp coconut oil
1/2 banana, mashed
water to bring to a thick batter (about 1 tbsp)


Optional Add-In:
1 tsp Cacao Powder

Apples:
1/2 apple, sliced (or 1 small)
1 tsp coconut oil
2 tsp pure maple syrup
1/4 tsp cinnamon



Directions:

1. In a small saucepan on low-medium heat, warm the coconut oil and add in the apple slices, maple syrup and cinnamon. Stir until the apples are coated in cinnamon and syrup. Turn the heat to low, place a lid on the saucepan and leave to cook while you make your pancake.
2. In a small bowl combine the flour, coconut oil, banana and water, and mix until you have a thick batter. Place your batter in a frypan on medium heat with a little coconut oil, and cook your pancake until it's golden on both sides.
3. Eat! Feel free to add almond butter, more fruit, maple syrups, or cacao nibs on top