Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Indian Lentil Soup


I love indian food. I love lentils. I love soup. So when I found this recipe on Green Kitchen Stories, I added it to my never ending list of things I want to make. Mama Wendy informed me she had red lentils she wanted to get rid of, so immediately I decided to make this soup for family dinner.

Indian Lentil Soup
I feel like when I describe any food I make, I describe it as yummy. Once again, this soup was so good. I mean, I love the three main parts of it, so it was a for sure win. Even my little sister liked it; she even went back for seconds! 

The soup got pretty thick, so if you want it more soupy feel free to add more vegetable stock, or let it simmer less. It had just the right amount of spice in it, enough to give it a kick, but nowhere near enough to leave you needing to wash down every bite with water. For the most part, this soup is pretty easy and quick to make. Chopping the vegetables is the only timely task,and since my chopping skills are still a working progress, it took me some time.


Serves 6 large servings

Indian Lentil SoupIngredients:

2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp fresh ginger, very finely chopped
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground chili
3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
200g red lentils, rinsed
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
a pinch of sea salt
2 tomatoes, diced (roma work well)


Directions:

1. Prepare the vegetables. Finely chop the onion and ginger. Peel and slice the carrots. Peel and dice the potatoes about 1/2-inch big. Dice the tomato.
2. Heat the olive oil in a big soup pot on low heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger and all the spices. After about a minute add the potatoes, carrots and the lentils, stir it around another minute before adding the broth. 
3. Let it boil on low-medium heat for 30 minutes, stir occasionally, taste the soup and add more salt and spices if needed. Add the tomatoes and let it boil for 5-10 more minutes.

**Feel free to place pot on simmer plate on low heat if you need to keep it warm for an hour or so. Wait to add the tomatoes until 10 minutes before serving.